Oct 11, 2012

Are furnace inspections really needed every year?

I got the call from the furnace people to set up our six month inspection on the furnace. 

We pay a monthly fee to be able to have them come over twice a year to look at the big metal box that makes noise. 

Are furnace inspections really needed every year?

I'm not sure what they do when they check it, are you? Every time they come out I think I am going to cancel the service. We pay monthly, but it adds up to $240/year. Then I forget to cancel. It's an automatic payment every month, so I don't really notice the money disappearing.

So they will be here next Tuesday morning. I already have it on my calendar to cancel the service. I got a quote from another HVAC guy who said he can come out twice a year to clean and inspect it for much less. We'll give it a try for sure.

Here is a great article written by a home inspector in Minneapolis, MN. Great information! Especially like the  checklist for what an inspection should really include.



http://activerain.com/blogsview/3473867/are-furnace-inspections-really-needed-every-year-




When you buy a home in Columbus, Ohio - one of the most important steps in the process is getting a home inspection. Did you know that you can also hire your own HVAC contractor to do the inspection?
If a home is 15 years old, it's a good rule of thumb to make sure that the furnace was well maintained. Sellers  should keep good records of the maintenance that they do on their heating and air conditioning systems.

Click here to view homes for sale that are 15 years old. I look in the description or comment section to see if there is a mention of "updated mechanical" or "newer HVAC."

That reminds me...I need to go replace my furnace filter. We change it out every month!